Monday, April 28, 2014

Tia Blanco

Photos courtesy of Reef

San Clemente, California surfer Tia Blanco surfs and competes in long board, short board and SUP. She's the 2013 NSSA West Coast Champion for the Open Women's division, Surfing America Prime Women's 18U division leader and a Reef Ambassador. "I'm the daughter of a Coast Guardsman, so traveling is second nature to me," says Tia. "I grew up in Puerto Rico, Hawaii and California. I learned to surf when I was three years old at the famous Waikiki Beach on the island of Oahu. Surfing was in my heritage, but I didn't start to surf competitively until I was about 12 years old."


While Tia's home break is Lowers, her favorite place to surf is Tahiti--where she's surfed Teahupoo. "Tahiti is such a beautiful place that it took my breath away. The waves I surfed were probably the most perfect waves I have ever seen (Teahupoo, Big Pass and Haapiti)." The biggest wave she has surfed to date was 6-8 foot at Mo'orea, an island northwest of Tahiti. In addition to surfing, she adds in running, yoga and tumbling to her athletic routine.

She shares these tips to get in shape for bikini season: Eat clean, it doesn't have to be hard! I like getting healthy recipes from One Green Planet. Take a walk, run or jog--especially on the beach, if you have access. Try surfing, you don't have to be a pro to have fun and get a workout--I go everyday. Do yoga at the studio, home or the beach. Stand up paddling works great for toning your muscles. If you're new at it start at mellow beaches.


No comments: